(UPDATED 1/8/2020) Description of the 2019 Michelin Guide California. Sacramento restaurant The Kitchen receives Michelin star.
The 2019 Michelin Guide California is the first statewide Michelin Guide in the U.S. The Golden State is now home to 90 Michelin starred restaurants.
The Kitchen restaurant has received a coveted star in the 2019 Michelin Guide California. Michelin notes “The Kitchen provides an interactive dining experience in Sacramento that doubles as dinner and a show. Whether you’re slurping oysters in the kitchen’s cooler or chatting with your neighbors over hors d’oeuvres, this elaborate menu is a spectacle that is sure to impress”.
The Kitchen, owned by husband and wife Randall Selland and Nancy Zimmer, opened in 1991. For $135 per-person (not including drinks and tip) patrons enjoy a five-course dinner at the one seating per night. Reservations are required. Dinner at The Kitchen is an “event” – spanning up to four hours.
Selland Family Restaurants also own Ella, OBO’ Italian Table & Bar and Selland’s Market-Café. See related blog posts: OBO’ Italian Table & Bar, Selland’s Market-Café – Sacramento Restaurants and East Sacramento Selland’s Market-Café
While I have not personally dined at The Kitchen, I know a number of people who have and who speak very highly of the experience.
SacramentoRevealed.com – All Things Sacramento (from a personal perspective)
2019 Michelin Guide California
Three Star Restaurants
Michelin describes three-star restaurants as “Exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey”.
Seven restaurants were awarded three stars. Appearing on the list are:
- Atelier Crenn, Benu and Quince in the San Francisco area
- Manresa in the South Bay
- French Laundry (The) Restaurant at Meadowood (The) and SingleThread in the Wine Country
Two Star Restaurants
Michelin describes two-star restaurants as “Excellent cuisine, worth a detour”.
Fourteen restaurants were awarded two stars. Appearing on the list are:
- Acquerello, Californios, Campton Place, Coi, Lazy Bear, and Saison in the San Francisco area
- Baume in the South Bay
- Commis in the East Bay
- n/naka, Providence, Somni, Sushi Ginza Onodera, Urasawa and Vespertine in the Los Angeles area
One Star Restaurants
Michelin describes one-star restaurants as “A very good restaurant in its category”.
Sixty-nine restaurants were awarded one star. Appearing on the list, in addition to The Kitchen, are:
- Addison in the San Diego area
- Al’s Place, Angler, Aster (closed), Bar Crenn, Birdsong, Commonwealth, Gary Danko, Hashiri, In Situ, ju-ni, Keiko a Nob Hill, Kinjo, Kin Khao, Lord Stanley, Luce, Michael Mina, Mister Jiu’s, Mourad, Nico, Octavia, Omakase, Progress (The), Rich Table, Sons & Daughters, Sorrel, SPQR, Spruce, State Bird Provisions and Wako in the San Francisco area
- Auberge du Soleil, Bouchon, Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, Harbor House, Kenzo, La Toque and Madrona Manor in the Wine Country
- Auberine in Monterey
- Madera, Sushi Yoshizumi, Village Pub (The) and Wakuria in the Peninsula area
- Chez TJ, Maum and Protégé in the South Bay
- Madcap in the Marin area
- Hana Re and Taco Maria in Orange County
- Bistro Na’s, CUT, Dialogue, Hayato, Kali, Kato, Le Comptoir, Maude, Mori Sushi, Nozawa Bar, Orsa & Winston, Osteria Horse, Q Sushi, Rustic Canyon, Shibumi, Shin Sushi, Shunji and Trois Mec in the Los Angeles area
Last week Michelin announced the 2019 Michelin Bib Gourmand List. Three Sacramento restaurants were listed – Canon, Mother and Frank Fat’s.
(UPDATED 1/8/2020) Mother has closed its doors! Check out the link below for the specifics, and to discover where you can still find some of its most popular dishes.
See related blog post: 2019 Michelin Bib Gourmand List
Comments on 2019 Michelin Guide California?
Have you dined at any of the 2019 Michelin “starred” restaurants? What was your experience?
Subscribe to SacramentoRevealed.com to receive the weekly newsletter direct to your inbox! Comments are welcome.