(UPDATED 11/29/18) Description and review of Device Brewing Company, a local craft beer brewery and taproom located on 14th Avenue in Sacramento.
The Device Brewing Company location on 14th Avenue is where the brewery brews their beer. Brewery operations are next door to the taproom. Device Brewing Company also has a taproom in the Ice Blocks in Midtown Sacramento, and plans to open another in the Sacramento Pocket/Greenhaven neighborhood in the near future.
On a recent afternoon I joined other members of the Renaissance Society at Device Brewing Company for a “tasting” arranged as part of the A Cook’s Tour of Sacramento class. This semester A Cook’s Tour of Sacramento is learning about the renaissance of craft beer in Sacramento and related topics. Related topics include sampling craft beer!
SacramentoRevealed.com – All Things Sacramento (from a personal perspective)
I am also taking a Creative Nonfiction Writing class this semester, but this particular class sounded like a lot of fun.
See related blog post: Sacramento Renaissance Society
Instead of a guest speaker, teams were organized for a trivia contest. As you might guess one of the subject matters dealt with beer trivia. I am not generally very adept at trivia, but it was fun and I did help out my team a (little) bit.
Our organizers were inspired to hold a trivia contest as Device Brewing Company hosts a trivia night each Wednesday.
Device Brewing Company Beer Sampled
We sampled four beers during the “class”:
- Kid Casual Blonde Ale (2016 California State Fair Bronze Medal Winner) – Light American blonde ale, golden color, light malt flavor with low bitterness and a dry finish. (4.7% ABV – 15 IBU)
- Curious Haze New England Style India Pale Ale – A New England Style “Hazy” India pale ale, straw color, medium-light body, subtle fruity esters from the yeast, citrusy hop aroma, and low bitterness. (7.0% ABV – 25 IBU)
- Salted Caramel Porter – Robust porter brewed with Northwest malts, Pacific Northwest hops and California ale yeast, medium body, dry finish, kosher sea salt added after fermentation provides a velvet like texture while complementing the chocolate and caramel notes.
- Brits in Moscow Russian Imperial Stout (2016 California State Fair Bronze Medal Winner) – Brewed with 10 different grains for a very complex, yet delightful malt flavor. Black color, medium body, mild malt sweetness, and medium-high bitterness. Notes of coffee, dark chocolate, molasses, and caramel. (9.5% ABV – 60 IBU)
I enjoyed each of the four beers we sampled, as did everyone else at my table when I checked in with them as we sipped and chatted. One of my trivia team members was particularly taken with the Salted Caramel Porter – so much so that he ordered and enjoyed a full size glass during the class.
What surprised me most about the beers we sampled was that I really liked the Brits in Moscow Imperial Stout. When I saw the (very) dark color I thought it was going to be overly strong – but it was not. Just goes to show that it pays to at least try something before you rush to judgement.
Device Brewing Company Food Service
Device Brewing Company does not have food service – but they periodically arrange for food trucks (check their website), and you are welcome to bring in outside food.
The A Cook’s Tour of Sacramento class organizers brought in a hotdog steamer, buns, chips and all the condiments you could ask for – so a most enjoyable afternoon set me back all of $12!
As a general rule I don’t go out of my way to eat hot dogs (unless I am at a baseball game) but this one hit the spot.
Have you visited one or more of the Device Brewing Company locations? What has been your experience? Do you have a favorite type of beer?
Device Brewing Company Snapshot:
- 8166 14th Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95826
- (916) 737-2739
- Hours: Monday – Thursday (3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.); Friday – Sunday (12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.)
- Kid and Dog (on leash) Friendly
- Parking Lot
(UPDATED 11/29/18) Device Brewing Company Ice Blocks Midtown Snapshot:
- 1610 R Street, Suite 145, Sacramento, CA 95811
- (916) 661-6804
- Hours: Sunday – Thursday (11:00 a.m. to Midnight); Friday & Saturday (11:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.)
- Street Parking
Subscribe to SacramentoRevealed.com to receive the weekly (with an occasional hiatus) newsletter direct to your inbox! Comments are welcome.