(Last UPDATED 6/10/2021) Description of Sacramento Area farmers markets, both seasonal and year-round. See Updates below.
Sacramento and the Sacramento Region is blessed with numerous farmers markets, both year-round and seasonal.
The oldest and busiest is the Central Certified Farmers Market which has just celebrated its 35th Anniversary! The market, held on Sunday’s, boasts over 100 participating farmers. NEW: See Update below.
Complementing the year-round markets are numerous seasonal markets that open for the year in the spring-early summer. These markets are scattered around the city and nearby communities.
SacramentoRevealed.com – All Things Sacramento (from a personal perspective)
Seasonal Sacramento Area Farmers Markets
- Roosevelt Park, 9th and P Streets, 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (May through September)
- Fremont Park, 16th and P Streets, 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (May through September)
- Cesar Chavez Plaza, 10th and J Streets, 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (May 1 through September 30)
- Capitol Mall (Sacramento Chef’s Market), between 5th & 6 Streets, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (June 16 through September 29) NEW
- Orangevale Farmers Market CFM, 9295 Greenback Lane (Orangevale) 4 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (May through September)
- Oak Park Farmers Market (McClatchy Park), 3500 5th Avenue, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (May through October)
Year Round Sacramento Area Farmers Markets
- Kaiser Permanente Point West, 1650 Response Road, 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Winn Park, 28th & P Streets, 3:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (March – November); 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (December – February) NEW
- Florin Sears, 5901 Florin Road, 8:00 a.m. to Noon
- Kaiser Permanente Morse Avenue, 2025 Morse Avenue, 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Country Club Plaza, 2400 Butano Drive, 8:00 a.m. to Noon
- Midtown Farmers Market, 20th Street (between J and K Streets) 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Sunrise Light Rail Station, Folsom & Sunrise Blvd., (Rancho Cordova) 8:00 a.m. to Noon
- Laguna Gateway Center, Laguna & Big Horn Blvd. (Elk Grove) 8:00 a.m. to Noon
- Historic Folsom Farmers Market, 915 Sutter Street (Folsom), 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday
- Sunrise Mall, 6041 Sunrise Blvd. (Citrus Heights), 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Central Farmers Market, W and 8th Streets, 8:00 a.m. to Noon (temporarily relocated to the Arden Fair Mall, 1601 Arden Way )
Note: Year-round markets will close for weather interruptions i.e. strong winds and rain/high likelihood of rain. Also, check out status in advance around the winter holiday season.
By patronizing your local market you are not only helping small farmers make more of a profit for their hard work (by cutting out the middle-man), you are also helping the local economy. A recent U.C. Davis study reports that Sacramento-area farmers and ranchers who sell their products directly to consumers generate twice as much regional economic impact per dollar of output as do area food producers who don’t engage in direct marketing.
I tend to frequent either the year-round Central Certified Farmer’s Market (Sunday) or the Midtown Farmers Market (Saturday) on 20th Street between J and L Streets. The Midtown market is sponsored by the Midtown Business Association.
As a general rule I like to do a quick stroll around the market, checking the prices and quality of the produce I want to buy. Then, I make my way around the market once again to make my purchases. I always take assorted coins and $1’s and $5’s as opposed to larger bills as I know that the farmers appreciate it.
(2/24/2021) The Central (aka Sunday) Certified Farmers Market will be temporarily relocating after February 28 from its W and 8th Streets location under Highway 50 due to a CalTrans highway expansion project. The new location will the Arden Fair Mall parking lot near the Sears building. If all goes well, the popular Sunday market will return to its W & 8th Street location in early December, 2021.
(10/20/17) The Midtown Farmers Market was voted #1 in the Sacramento Magazine 2017 Best of Sacramento survey.
Do you have a favorite seasonal market and/or year-round market?
Subscribe to SacramentoRevealed.com to receive the weekly (with an occasional hiatus) newsletter direct to your inbox. Comments are welcome.