Description of the American Fitness Index and the 2021 ranking of the 100 largest U.S. cities. Where does Sacramento Rank?
The American Fitness Index evaluates the 100 largest cities in the U.S. using indicators that represent health behaviors, health outcomes, built environment, recreational facilities and policy/funding.
Sacramento ranks #18 overall in the 2021 American Fitness Index, an improvement over the previous year. Sacramentans ranked #32 in the Personal Health rank and Sacramento ranked #29 in the Community and Environment rank.
SacramentoRevealed.com – All Things Sacramento (from a personal perspective)
Note: The data utilized in the 2021 American Fitness Index was collected just prior to the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Coming in at #1 was Arlington, Virginia – for the fourth consecutive year in a row! Bringing up the rear at #100 was Oklahoma City, OK.
American Fitness Index – California Cities
The overall ranking of California cities:
- #8 Irvine
- #13 San Francisco
- #15 San Diego
- #18 Sacramento
- #20 San Jose
- #32 Santa Ana
- #33 Long Beach
- #34 Chula Vista
- #35 Fremont
- #39 Los Angeles
- #42 Anaheim
- #48 Glendale
- #49 Stockton
- #73 Riverside
- #74 Fresno
Sacramento – Personal Health Rank & Score
- 77.8 – % exercising in the previous month (100-city average 75.7)
- 50.9 – % meeting aerobic activity guidelines (50.8 average)
- 17.8 – % meeting aerobic & strength activity guidelines (23.7 average)
- 4.6 – % bicycling or walking to work (4.5 average)
- 3.4 – % using public transportation to work (7.0 average)
- 32.3 – % consuming 2+ fruits/day (31.0 average)
- 14.7 – % consuming 3+ vegetables/day (14.5 average)
- 65.0 – % sleeping 7+ hours/day (64.8 average)
- 10.1 – % smoking (13.8 average)
- 52.3 – % in excellent or very good health (100-city average 49.9)
- 34.1 – % with poor physical health in the previous month (36.6 average)
- 36.9 – % with poor mental health in the previous month (39.5 average)
- 26.7 – % with obesity (29.3 average)
- 9.9 – % with asthma (8.8 average)
- 26.8 – % with high blood pressure (30.5 average)
- 1.8 – % with angina or coronary heart disease (3.2 average)
- 3.8 – % with stroke (3.2 average)
- 9.1 – % with diabetes (10.2 average)
- 3.3 – pedestrian fatalities/100,000 residents (2.6 average)
Sacramento Community/Environment Rank & Score
- 58.4 – air quality index (100-city average 64.5)
- 68.1 – bike score (54.1 average)
- 11.9 – with food insecurity (12.2 average)
- 4.4 – parks/10,000 residents (4.0 average)
- 83.0 – % within a 10-minuite walk to a park (70.8 average)
- 45.3 – walk score (48.0 average)
- 1.9 – ball diamonds/10,000 residents (1.7 100-city average)
- 1.6 – basketball hoops/10,000 residents (3.4 average)
- 4.1 – playgrounds/10,000 residents (2.4 average)
- 0.6 – recreational centers/20,000 residents (0.9 average)
- 2.4 – swimming pools/100,000 residents (2.3 average)
- 0.9 – tennis courts/10,000 residents (1.8 average)
Policy & Funding
- 2.0 – local complete streets policy (1.0 100-city average)
- $113 – park expenditure/resident ($102 average)
- 3.0 – physical education requirement (2.8 average)
To Sum Up
Check out the American Fitness Index Summary Report or the American Fitness Index home page for more information. I for one will be most interested to check out the next year’s report as it will reflect the COVID-19 pandemic on our collective health and well-being.
See related blog posts: Sacramento #69 on Well-Being Ranking List and Where Does Sacramento Rank?
Comments on the American Fitness Index?
Subscribe to SacramentoRevealed.com to receive the weekly (with an occasional hiatus) newsletter direct to your inbox! Comments are welcome.
Renee Waters says
Hi, We are considering a relocation to Sacramento from Greensboro, North Carolina. We are originally from Berkeley, CA but came here for graduate school. We are looking for a house to rent in east Sacramento but are noticing how really expensive they are. I am a single mom with a child with a disability. Any tips on who might be able to help us with finding a nice place in a safe area with good walkability?
Hi! Yes both the home prices and rents have really gone up, and even more so this past year. I don’t know of anyone offhand, but I will check around and get back to you if I find someone who may fit the bill. Kathy